Take protein shakes as a complement to a balanced diet brings us multiple benefits and in this article, I show them all.
What are protein shakes?
In the field of sports supplementation, the supplements that are used most often are those based on proteins. However, there are many products with different presentations of this important macronutrient, so it is important to define what exactly is a protein shake.
The protein shakes are presented in powder form for later dissolution in water or milk, this powder can contain various proteins, they can contain them in the form of whey, concentrated or isolated, among others.
One aspect that is very important to mention when we talk about it is that they should not be used as substitutes for a balanced and healthy diet, but as supplements of it.
This means that we must obtain the proteins that we need mainly through food and use the shakes in those cases in which the diet is very demanding and an extraordinary contribution of proteins is needed to achieve certain objectives.
What are the benefits of protein shakes?
These are used to obtain various benefits, among which the following stand out:
- Many people do not know that these are an ideal nutritional supplement for weight loss. This is because they help us protect our muscle mass while our body gets rid of fat, in addition, a higher protein intake will help increase metabolism and also keep our appetite more easily controlled.
- The main benefit of protein shakes is that they help us gain muscle mass, but to achieve this goal it is essential to follow an optimal diet, adequate training and sufficient rest. The muscles are formed by proteins and an extraordinary contribution of them will help us to form more muscle tissue.
- Protein shakes help us feel more energetic and therefore increase sports performance, they are also essential for lovers of cardiovascular exercise, as they protect the muscle from catabolism.
- This type of preparations is of great importance for the recovery of the muscle since while we exercise we also damage muscle fibres that later must be repaired.
When to take protein shakes?
It can be taken at different times of the day and that will partially modify the effect of them:
- 30 minutes before training: They are very effective in protecting the muscle from catabolism and at this time it is ideal to combine them with carbohydrates.
- After training: It is recommended above all the whey protein that will assimilate quickly and start to repair the damaged fibres during the training session.
- Before going to sleep: At this time casein is recommended for its slow assimilation, so during the night, the proteins will work in synergy with the anabolic hormones that are released.
Now that you know all the benefits of protein shakes do not hesitate to include them in your diet, always as a complement to a healthy and balanced diet.