It is important to know why doctors administer a mental health screening before putting a BDD suspected patient under the knife. It clearly doesn’t mean that the patient has lost it or is a psycho, it is just to rule out body dismorphic disorder because such people with BDD don’t need cosmetic surgery, they need psychiatric care & counselling. If a surgeon performs the desired surgery on a BDD affected patient without mental counselling, it is more than sure that he/she will NOT be satisfied with the results and it will affect both (the surgeon and the patient) because it is not a matter of face/body correction, it the mind that need fixation.
People with BDD may pick at a skin defect only perceptible to them until a real scab appears. They might lose hours in front of a mirror, meticulously working to camouflage their purported flaws, or they might compulsively avoid mirrors at all costs, terrified of what they’ll see. Some develop eating disorders or social anxiety.
Still, the psychiatric condition is surprisingly common: according to the Body Dysmorphia Disorder Foundation, one in 50 people has it. The advocacy group lists several famous names who may have had the disorder, though none were ever diagnosed, including Sylvia Plath, Michael Jackson and Franz Kafka.
Larger breasts come with their share of drawbacks; back pain, neck pain, sports sore, difficulty in finding clothes that fit properly among them, self-consciousness. A large cup size that cannot be supported by your frame, can cause health problems, that become become chronic concerns when ignored. When your breast size limits your life, reduction is the best option.
The Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery-
- Say goodbye to pain – With your breasts weighing relatively lesser, they will not strain your shoulders, neck and back.
- Start exercising again –You will be able to run, swim, walk & play without your breasts getting in the way.
- Improve your posture –You will no longer slouch. You will be able to pull back your shoulders and straighten your spine, and throw your chest out, finally.
- Shop easier –You don’t have to hide in mumus. Clothes that fit, support and flatter will be easier to find.
- Boost your confidence – An improved posture will enhance your self-confidence as well.
- People often start watching their body weight right after liposuction and wonder why the numbers are not going down as they expect. First of all, it’s important to remember that liposuction is not a weight-loss procedure. Best for removing small pockets of fat, liposuction gives patients better body contour and a shapelier silhouette, but is not meant to help you lose pounds. I tell patients to avoid the weighing scale for 1-2 month after surgery because the body is in healing mode from surgery stress and can cause you to retain water (which could translate to increased pounds). Once the body realizes you are fine the water will come off. Maintaining a balanced diet and following your doctor’s prescribed post-op instructions will also help you on the right track toward a healthy recovery.