The word ‘alkaline’ is currently a buzz word. In all likeliness, you will find it everywhere – right from web articles to newspaper ads. What’s the fuss all about? Well, it all started with the alkaline diet concept, which talked about the benefits of foods and beverages with better pH. Alkaline water, which is less acidic than regular tap water, is believed to neutralize acids in the body, and thereby, a lot of health concerns and issues can be avoided. Here are some of the aspects that you need to know.
1. Stream water is known to be alkaline. As the regular water passes through the rocks, it collects minerals and other deposits, which changes the pH level and makes it more alkaline. Of course, none of us has access to new stream or spring water, and hence, we have so many different brands of packaged beverages. These drinks, mostly water, are rich in a number of alkalizing compounds. The list includes bicarbonate, magnesium, and calcium.
2. It is believed that regular consumption of vitamin enhanced water will help in buffering acidity, which can lead to better fitness and health. If you are looking for research and studies, you won’t be disappointed either. Some studies have supported the claims, although extensive research is still missing, so there is no final verdict on the concept. Also, many people are skeptical about the theory, and there are plenty of articles on why alkaline water is actually bad for health!
3. So, should you drink alkaline water? Well, there isn’t any reason why you should keep drinking regular tap water. General tap water has a pH balance of 7, while most of the packaged water bottles that claim to be alkaline have a pH of 8 or more. The claims made are pretty much believable. It is believed that the high pH works on bettering the overall metabolism rate and can have a direct impact on weight loss efforts. Alkaline water also works wonder on regulating acid and blood sugar levels, which can help diabetic patients.
4. You should also know that there are no known side effects of alkaline water so far. Instead, it can contribute to offering a quick detox to the body, and some brands even have added electrolytes, which can lead to a natural energy boost. Some believe that the concept can help with body pain, especially chronic pain related to arthritis.
5. However, as a customer, you need to be extra cautious about the overall pH level of a brand before you make it a regular choice. Some brands offer packaged water with pH of 9 and more, which are the best one can find in the market. Do your research and make sure that you read the label to find the compounds that have been added to the mix. Also, there is plenty of information on the web, as well, which can come handy.
Start your alkaline journey now to see how the concept works for you!